- This event has passed.
College Civic Learning for an Engaged Democracy: New Urgency, New Vision, New Educator-Policy Leader Alliances
December 13, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Dates: December 13–14, 2022
Time: 2:00–5:30 pm each day
Campus Compact is hosting this two-day forum, first in a series of five Planning and Action Forums for educators and policy leaders from the Civic Learning and Democracy Engagement Coalition. The forums are presented by the CLDE Coalition and with the University of Virginia’s Karsh Institute of Democracy, with support from the Endeavor Foundation.
Registration is now open for Forums 1 & 2, to be held in December 2022 and February 2023. These free online forums will help educators and policy leaders explore:
- A civic and democracy-focused learning framework that college educators, systems, and consortia can tailor for students, programs, and community partnerships.
- Campus examples in which civic learning includes all students and in particular gives voice to students from historically underserved communities.
- Policy Initiatives that can help scale civic learning for an engaged democracy, including candid discussions about enabling vs. imposing.
- New research that details both the strong benefits of civic learning for students and the deep disparities among students who participate.
- Crosswalks between K–12 and postsecondary civic learning redesigns.
- Creative strategies for connecting civic learning for an engaged democracy with other top student success and policy priorities, such as completion, equity, free academic inquiry and civil discourse, high-impact educational practices, and project-based learning.
- Practical advice from leaders in diverse settings about how their institutions moved from making civic learning available as an option to achieving the full participation of all students.Forum attendees will receive planning tools to assess their current civic learning strengths, challenges, and opportunities and to choose priorities for planning and action.