In the spring semester each year the Northern New England Campus Compact collaboration opens applications for potential host sites for our VISTA program. Interested sites are asked to submit an “e-mail of intent” to notify their state contact (see below) of the organization’s intent to apply to host a VISTA. This does not obligate institutions to submit a full proposal, but will allow the collaboration to assess the number of host site applications to expect. The email should contain the number of VISTAs the site is applying for and the contact person for the application. Current VISTA host sites should indicate their intention to continue the work that is being done by the current VISTA. New sites should provide a few sentences about their proposed project.
Host sites in the state of Maine should contact:
Sally Slovenski, 207.753.6626
Host sites in Vermont and New Hampshire should contact:
MaeAnna Edwards, 603.223.2302 x315
See the list below for the responsibilities of each host site.
Host site responsibilities
• Attend a Site Supervisor Orientation
• Complete Memorandum of Understanding prior to arrival of VISTA
• Complete and submit On Site Orientation within 30 days of VISTA’s arrival
• Document in-kind contributions
• Ensure that VISTAs are not engaging in CNCS Prohibited Activities while serving on site.
• Assist with the recruitment/selection of VISTA in partnership with your state Campus Compact.
• Respond to all viable candidates sent to the site by Campus Compact or alert your state Campus Compact office if you do not wish to interview a candidate. These notifications should occur within in 3-5 days of receipt of candidate.
• Interview all viable candidates and provide your state Campus Compact with a list of interview questions
• Check viable references before asking your state Campus Compact to make an offer to a candidate
• Inform your state Campus Compact when you would like to make an offer to a candidate (your state Campus Compact will make all final offers and reserves the right to deselect a candidate)
• Payment of VISTA Sponsorship cost
• Reimbursement of member project-related travel expenses
• Provide office space and materials (including phone, fax, computer, e-mail, etc.)
• Daily supervision Northern New England Campus
• In coordination with PR office, publicize any events or accomplishments of the VISTA project as they occur
• Support VISTA training and professional development, including attendance at monthly Corps meetings and periodic statewide events
• Complete reporting and evaluation requirements, including working with the VISTA to complete two progress reports
• Participation in activities related to Campus Compact coordination of the VISTA project, including attending a minimum of three site supervisors’ meetings and trainings
• Maintain current membership in your state Campus Compact throughout the VISTA member(s) term
• Serve as advocate and liaison to the institution’s administration, faculty, staff, and community, when appropriate
• Work with VISTA Member to complete progress reports
• Support the Member’s attendance at regular VISTA team meetings, trainings, and specified state Campus Compact events and provide time in the member’s service to complete all service-related paperwork
• Provide supervision and feedback through regular meetings
• Approve timesheets and tracking of in-kind data
• Communicate in a timely manner with your state Campus Compact about any problems or concerns about the member, should any significant issues arise